Kadir Koray Bas was born in Izmir, Turkey in 1977 and graduated from Ege University Faculty of Medicine with the title of Doctor of Medicine (MBBS/MD) in Izmir, Turkey in 2000.
Then he completed the general surgery residency program at The University of Health Sciences Lutfi Kirdar Kartal Training and Research Hospital, in Istanbul, Turkey, and held the title of Specialist in General Surgery (MS) in 2006.
During the residency program, he was accepted as a Surgical Research Fellow on advanced cancer surgery at Saint Louis University Faculty of Medicine, Missouri, USA by Frank E. Johnson, MD, Chair and Professor of General Surgery, and worked with him between June 2004 and June 2005 on the most advanced cancer surgeries and research.
He passed the USMLE -The United States Medical Licensing Examination- Clinical Skills in Chicago, IL, USA in May 2005 .
After completing the surgical residency program, he continued his surgical carrier in liver, kidney, and pancreas transplantation and vascular surgery at Florence Nightingale Hospital Transplantation Center between February 2008 and May 2009.
Dr. Kadir Koray Bas continued his academic career as an Assistant Professor and then an Associate Professor of General Surgery at Near East University Faculty of Medicine in CYPRUS , between 2010 and 2013.
During this period, he studied laparoscopic colon and rectal surgery at Cleveland Clinic, Digestive Disease Institute, Ohio, USA , with Feza Remzi, MD, Professor of Surgery, director of the department of colorectal surgery in 2012 .
At the same time, he also studied robotic surgery and advanced minimally invasive surgery with Eren Berber, MD, Associate Professor of Surgery, director of robotic surgery at Cleveland Clinic, Ohio, USA
Dr. Bas has been accepted as an International Member of the Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES) in 2012 .
He worked as a Clinical Fellow on obesity and metabolic surgery at Izmir Dokuz Eylul University Hospital on Obesity and Bariatric Surgery in 2015.
At the same time, he studied at Anadolu University Department of Management and Organization for 2 years and graduated with an Associate Degree Diploma in Management of Health Institutions in 2016.
Dr. Bas has also been promoted as The Educator of the General Surgery Residency Program by The Republic of Turkey Ministry of Health in 2016.
He successfully completed The European Board of Surgery assessment and examination and was awarded by The European Union of Medical Specialists (UEMS) and The European Association of Endoscopic Surgery (EAES) with the title of “Fellow of The European Board of Surgery – Minimally Invasive Surgery – Minimally Invasive Surgery (FEBS-MIS) in Sevilla, SPAIN , in 2019 . So far, there are only a limited number of surgeons were awarded this title around the world.
Dr. Bass was also accepted as a “Fellow of the American College of Surgeons” (FACS) due to his education and training, professional qualifications, surgical competence, and ethical conduct have passed a rigorous evaluation, and be consistent with the high standards established and demanded by the American College of Surgeons (ACS) , in 2020. And he became a full fellow of ACS in 2021.
Dr. Kadir Koray Bas has been promoted to Full-time Professor and Chair of the Department of General Surgery at Izmir Bakircay University Faculty of Medicine, Turkey in 2021.
prof. Dr. Kadir Koray Bas During His Surgical Carrier,
Has been professionally interested in multiple different disciplines of general surgical procedures, especially in the field of Minimally Invasive Surgery (MIS): Robotic, Laparoscopic, and Endoscopic surgeries such as:
– Endoscopic weight-loss (Endo-bariatric) procedures: Intragastric Balloon applications (Orbera, Spatz3, and Allurion/Elipse), Gastric Botox® applications, Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty (ESG), and the Primary Obesity Surgery Endoluminal (POSE-2)
– Bariatric surgeries: Gastric Sleeve and Gastric Bypass Surgeries for obesity and metabolic disorders
– Upper and Lower Gastrointestinal advanced Laparoscopic/ Robotic Surgeries: Pure Minimally Invasive Surgeries or Hand-assisted laparoscopic surgeries (HALS) for the stomach, small intestine, and colon & rectum surgical diseases
– Upper and Lower Gastrointestinal advanced Flexible Endoscopies and Endoscopic Surgeries: Endoscopic Mucosal Resection (EMR) or Endoscopic Submucosal Dissection (ESD) for pre-malignant or early-stage malignant diseases in the stomach or colon & rectum
– Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary (HPB) advanced Laparoscopic/ Robotic Surgeries: Liver segmental resections, Splenectomies, Biliary-tract surgeries by using Intraoperative Video Choledochoscopy, Cholecystectomies, and Distal Pancreatectomies
– Endocrine System advanced surgeries: Minimally Invasive Thyroidectomy and Parathyroidectomy (MIVAT / MIVAP), laparoscopic or robotic Adrenalectomy
– The most advanced Natural Orifice Transluminal Endoscopic Surgeries (NOTES) as;
- Trans-oral incision-less thyroidectomy & parathyroidectomy (TOETVA/ TOEPVA)
- Trans-anal incision-less rectum surgeries (TEM/ TAMIS)
- Trans-umbilical incision-less abdominal organ surgeries as well as hernia surgeries
– Minimally Invasive Hernia Surgeries: Inguinal, Epigastric, or Diaphragmatic Hernia repairs by Totally Extra-peritoneal (TEP), Trans-abdominal Pre-peritoneal (TAPP), and Intra-peritoneal Onlay Mesh (IPOM) techniques
– Advanced flexible gastrointestinal endoscopic applications: Self-expendable Metallic Stent (SEMS) placements for bridging procedures of advanced colon & rectum cancers, Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy (PEG) tube placements for feeding, intra-operative flexible endoscopy use for upper and lower GI surgeries
– Minimally Invasive organ transplantation surgeries such as laparoscopic donor nephrectomy
– Most recent breast cancer treatment approaches and surgical techniques as Onco-Plastic breast-conserving surgery with Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy (SLNB)
Regarding His Scientific Activities and Self-development,
prof. Dr. Kadir Koray Bas currently has internationally published 130 scientific articles, oral presentations, and conference proceedings with being a co-author of three book chapters in most emerging fields of Advanced Minimally Invasive Surgeries , Tele-Medicine, and Tele-Health .
He has participated in 22 international “hands-on” training programs and over 110 scientific congresses in almost all disciplines of general surgery, mostly in Minimally Invasive Surgery and Oncologic Surgery .
He was director of Endocrine & Metabolic Disorders and Gastrointestinal Cancers Multidisciplinary Tumor Boards (MDTs) as well as a member of The Ethics Committee of the University of Health Sciences Izmir Training and Research Hospital.
In Addition to His Clinical and Academic Activities,
He is personally interested in innovative medical and surgical applications such as Virtual Reality & Augmented Reality (AR & VR), Artificial Intelligence , and Simulation-based Surgery & Medical Education Systems.
He is also working with the medical industry for developing new surgical and medical devices. To follow new technologies and novel approaches, he annually visits the world’s leading medical exhibitions like MEDICA – Dusseldorf/ Germany, ARAB HEALTH – Dubai/ UAE, and FIME – Florida/ USA.
prof. Dr. Kadir Koray Bas Continues His Clinical Activities, e specially in Non-surgical Endoscopic Obesity Treatment , Advanced Interventional Endoscopy, Minimal Invasive Surgeries, and Surgical Oncology treatments in Dubai & Abu Dhabi / UAE.
prof. Dr. Kadir Koray Bas, MD, FACS, FEBS, SAGES
Professor of General Surgery
European Board-Certified Surgeon & Endoscopist
Member of The Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons
Fellow of The European Board of Surgery on Minimally Invasive Surgery
Fellow of The American College of Surgeons
Gastrointestinal Surgical Endoscopy
Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery
Consultancy for Surgical Equipment Development
Consultancy for Robot-assisted Surgery Systems
Consultancy for Medical Simulation & Wet Labs
Consultancy for AI, AR, and VR Systems
Phone & Whatsapp: +971 50 514 2636
Dubai & Abu Dhabi – UAE
Copyright © 2023 © drkoraybas.com